Tuesday 6 February 2007

Add to Technorati Favorites

Bullying and Big Brother

In the UK the last two or three weeks the media has written loads of stuff on the antics which went on in the Celebrity Big Brother house.

I have never really been a fan of these programs, but unfortunately for me my teenage daughters really love it, and worse still my (lovely) husband who is their Step Dad says he wants to watch it as a "bonding experience with the girls". Although I am hugely sceptical about his claim, the upshot of this was that if I wanted to enjoy some family TV time then perhaps I should watch it too.

In fact I found it quite an eye opener in lots of ways. Although it is probably safe to say how the programme was edited is very much open for discussion.

What it highlighted to me were situations which go on in many schools, work places all over the world. Bullying. The trouble is people constantly turn a blind eye - or make excuses for this negative behaviour, - which in my book is totally unacceptable.

The format sadly often runs the same. Strong Person - has some rather easily lead (weaker) friends and pick on someone else. Many people stand by and do little to intercept the situation, probably hoping it will blow over or in some cases do not want to upset the "Strong Person".
The thing about bullying - is it is often a secret terror, particularly with women where the attacks are verbal.

Normally the bully or "the Strong Person" does not get "discovered" quite so publicly as Jade Goodey was.

I saw Carole Malone interviewed shortly after "the incident" on Big Brother - and she said it would never of happened if I had been there. " And I don't think it would have. She would have told Jade Goodey to shut up and sort herself out.

Bullying is almost always prompted by there being something "different" about the targeted person. They could be posh, poor, fat or skinny, clever, pretty.....the list goes on.

Jade Goodey has been vilified - I am not sure that is right. The press could be seen to being bullies themselves if they choose to "pick on people".

What I do think should come out of this are some good things.... and hopefully that is happening.

Shilpa showed great strength of character and quite rightly has come out the "hero" in all this which I am sure is going to help other victims of bullying realise, that bullying can happen to anyone.

I also hear from the news that Jermaine Jackson is spending time visiting schools talking about bullying - he was a victim of bullying.

Maybe those who adopt this kind of "bitching" that was going on with Jade and her little gang will be a little more aware of their own behaviour.

And maybe the odd school and work place where they are aware of situations but leaving them to run their course ... for whatever reason may now choose to intercept the situation.

I hope so anyway.

Diana Groves

visit us at:

http://www.Helpforbusymums.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home