Thursday 17 May 2007

Add to Technorati Favorites

Stress and Exam Nerves

My girls are just beginning to sit their exams.

Daughter two is sitting her AS level exams and daughter three her GCSEs.

Throughout the house are post it notes, charts and revision cards stuck on doors light switches and by mirrors. Anywhere they are likely to be loitering and can stop and take a look for a few minutes.

Sitting on the loo is now quite educational for me too. I can see at a glance through a very self explanatory chart how Germany's power developed during the 1920's and 1930's and am even beginning to remember dates of the Treaties that were signed.

I never remember doing anything like this. Far more trouble is now taken in helping kids to revise "better" - certainly anyway at the school my girls attend.

I guess the most important thing is to try and reduce the anxiety around exams. Even if the kids do fail them it is not the end of the world. All that I ask is that they do their best - and lets face it there are lots of people who have been successful in life who have not done very well at school.

That's not to say I would not be disappointed - but it is also important to recognise that as much as I would like all my children to grow up and be successful rocket scientists or brain surgeons - that's about me not them.

So back to exam stress - what can we do?

Make sure they eat well and get a good nights sleep.

That perhaps we are a bit more tolerant of the odd outburst.

We make sure that they take regular breaks from revision and ideally do a bit of exercise in between. The brain works far better when it is well oxygenated!

My kids love horlicks and hot chocolate made with real chocolate. Comforting drinks or treats serve two purposes. One they will pep them up a bit, and two will show them you care. Sometimes this can work a lot better than talking to stressed adolescents.

For my ideas on dealing with stress -either for your kids, you or someone else in your life visit: http://www.helpforbusymums.com/stress-and-exam-nerves.html

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home